Thursday, March 23, 2006

1st try

Hello,
This is the first time I have ever used a blog. Blog, what a great name for a great idea.
Anyway, I will probably write a lot of nonsense, as I am just trying this thing out. I hope it works.
My name is Joe, I am a reserach student at Glasgow Caledonian University. I have an honours degree in Environmental Science and Ecology and my PhD is on the environmental impacts of NHSScotland's smaller buildings. I am in the process of writing up my thesis and it is meant to be finished by end of June 2006. Ah well, who knows?
Today, I attended the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment's Scottish Conference in Glasgow City Chambers. It went well and was quite interesting. Unfortunately, the hall had a high vaulted ceiling and the sound system bounced the talks all over the place creating some unintelligible audio at times. That was a bit of a shame because there were some very good talks going on. The workshops were interesting enough, but they weren't really workshops just seminars. Except for the Environmental Impact Assessment workshop which did go through some group practical stuff.
I'm not really sure why I have taken this blog thing out as I have too much else to do. think I am deliberately sidetracking myself so I don't need to write my thesis, but it has to be done.
A friend told me, "Joe, the object of a PhD is to be written, so just bloody write it!" Okay, okay, that's just what I'll do.
Well, if anyone was daft enough to read this to the end, I hope you get better soon.
I'll sign off with my favourite haiku by Basho:

Old pond
frog jumps in—
plop


bye
Joe

No comments: